- October-November: Fieldwork in Jordan for project on education in conflict-affected settings (with a focus on refugee community)
- October: Delivered a storytelling workshop in Kenya
- August-September: Fieldwork in Kenya for a project on education in low-income areas
- July: Fieldwork in Mississippi for a project on HIV/AIDS
- January - Budapest - lecturer for the course “Crisis & Risk Management” at the Center for European University School of Public Policy
- September: Zurich - presentation (with Peter Burgherr) for the ETH Risk Center ‘Examining the Targeting of Energy Infrastructure: Applying a Qualitative and Quantitative Approach’; NYC - participant at the Ethnographic Praxis Industry Conference (EPIC)
- August: Davos - speaker at the Global Risk Forum
- July: Nigeria - presentation on maritime security for Energy and Environment Investment Forum in Port Harcourt; field work in Nigeria July 2-28
- June: Tbilisi - presentation on EI Targeting for meeting hosted by Georgia Ministry of Energy and George Marshall Center.
- May: Houston - attended meetings on oil and gas operations in risk/conflict-prone environments; Vienna - taught 3-day course on crisis and response
- April: Singapore - speaker and participant at the 8th Asia-Pacific Programme for Senior National Security Officers (APPSNO), hosted by the Centre of Excellence for National Security (CENS) and S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS)
- March: Budapest - lecturer for the course “Crisis & Risk Management” at the Center for European University School of Public Policy
- January: London - presentation “Nigeria: Unpacking the System of Oil Theft” delivered at oil and gas security meeting
- November-December: Fieldwork in Nigeria to carry out oil theft study
- October: London – Keynote on terrorist targeting of energy infrastructure, delivered for European Centre for Energy and Resource Security (EUCERS) roundtable, hosted at Kings College
- September: Warsaw – Educator for Exec Ed course “Understanding the Operational Terrain” (delivered through Duke CE); Basel - Participant of the workshop “Social Movements and the Position of the Researcher”, University of Basel’s Centre for African Studies (CASB) and the Research Group on Political Transformation at the Institute of Social Anthropology
- August: Zurich - Organizer and participant of Swiss Crisis Mapping Workshop
- June: Geneva – Participant for Expert Consultation on Business and Armed Non-State Actors; London – Chair of IRN Oil and Gas Security meeting; Presentation on EI targeting patterns in Colombia for
Horizon Scanning 21st Century Insecurities conference
- April: Washington DC - presentation at DC Analyst Roundtable (DCAR) on contagion patterns of violence; San Antonio - keynote presentation to the AFPM security conference on energy infrastructure targeting trends
- January: Accra - presentation to security professionals on energy infrastructure security in Gulf of Guinea; also spent time performing field research on Ghana’s growing energy sector.
- October: Vienna - Guest speaker at (private sector) oil and gas meeting; Newport (Rhode Island) guest educator/expert for capstone course on Nigeria at the Naval War College
- August - December - Field Research for Energy Infrastructure Vulnerability study in Liberia, Colombia and Nigeria; presented field research at the Universidad de los Andes in Bogota, Colombia as well as in Yenagoa, Niger Delta and Abuja, Nigeria
- April: Washington DC - attended various meetings to discuss the Energy Infrastructure Attack Database (EIAD); Stanford University - attended meeting on Middle East North Africa (Arab spring)
- November: Copenhagen - Gave a talk to security professionals on the role of resilience in CIP and homeland security
- September: Budapest - Gave a talk on the future of government and international organizations in counter terrorism, at the ICDT Conference "Ten Years After - Remembering 9/11"
- June: Tbilisi - Presented research on the targeting of energy infrastructure to the NATO conference "Emerging Security Challenges”; Amman - presented paper and moderated panel on threats to oil and gas supplies for the conference "Energy Security in the Middle East and The Gulf Region: Geopolitics, Security Challenges, and Sustainable Supplies"
- May: Zurich - Convened and moderated panel on the future of counterterrorism for the International Security Forum (ISF)
- April: Brussels: Presentation on the Energy Infrastructure Attack Database (EIAD) to the European Commission's Thematic Network on Critical Energy Infrastructure Protection (TNCEIP)
- November: Abu Dhabi - Presented at the conference "Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) Congress”; London: gave a talk to security professionals on global maritime piracy trends and threats to offshore energy carriers
- September: Singapore - Presented at the Global Futures Forum (GFF) on "Crowdsourcing through Crisis: Evidence of Adaptability & Resilience"
- June: Garmisch - Gave a lecture on energy infrastructure security for the Seminar on Transatlantic Civil Security (STACS) at the Marshall Center
- May: Davos, Switzerland: Presented on energy infrastructure attacks at Global Risk Forum (GRF)
- March: St. Andrews University - Presented at "The Globalization of the Conflict in Somalia" conference; Yenagoa, Niger Delta, Nigeria - Presented and moderated panel for the 2nd International Niger Delta Conference
- February: Brussels - Panel speaker on energy security at the East West Institute (EWI) 7th Worldwide Security Conference
- Field research experience in Nigeria (Niger Delta region, Lagos, Abuja), Colombia (Bogota & Arauca), Liberia (Monrovia)
- Short site visits: Jordan, Ghana (Accra), and Malaysia (Malacca Straits)
Executive Training & Education
- Ongoing: Lecturer for "Crisis & Response”, course for (Executive) Master of Strategic Security Management, University of Applied Sciences Wiener Neustadt and Austrian Federal Security Academy
- Ongoing: Provide executive training on social & non-technical risks and stakeholder engagement for companies in the extractive industry (mainly oil and gas) and managing critical infrastructures